Friday, July 25, 2008

Presentation Zen : Part 0

If you aim to be at an important position in some company, you will have to present/give a talk at some point of time or evaluate an idea or project.So to have good presentation skills in your armor is a must .

There are many experts in this field also and I happened to read a lot of stuff off the internet when I had to present my project. I'm no expert in this but have presented my project at various national level competitions and can tell a good presentation from a bad one. So here's some stuff that I have gathered on my way...

Well to start off I must say there are no rules for doing it well like what experts suggest, (in fact it would be great if you break the rules and stand out) but there are some definite do's and dont's.

When it comes to your presentation 3 things are important (and i'll discuss these things in seperate posts) :
a)The Content
b)Presentation slides
c)You!

Whenever there's a talk about presentation skills one name that often comes up is that of Steve Jobs. Even venture capalists in the Silicon Valley believe he's the best presenter around. (VCs from the Silicon Valley must be sitting through atleast 5 presentations everyday hence they know what they're talking about.)

So I would first suggest you watch this video of Steve Jobs at the first iPod introduction.





After watching this video I immediately realised a few key points :
Steve is vey well prepared with his talk.
He keeps it simple.
He leaves nothing open to interpretation (thank god he's not a songwriter) i.e. he presents the figures/stats very clearly.

Keep watching the video for more points, I'll continue this post tomorrow as I have a lot more to say and I'll also be providing some good links.

0 comments: